Thursday, January 2, 2014

Yoga and the New Year!

This morning was my first hot yoga class in over three weeks!  I could not wait to lay down in the warm room, but was slightly nervous as this morning's class is, in my opinion, the toughest one!  Regardless, I was there, ready or not, and wanting it to kick my butt. 
 
Boy oh boy did it!  My toes were stretching, my right knee was pinching, my shoulders were enjoying the full rotations of the sun salutations. 
Ahhhhhhhhhh breathe. 
 

I took away some important things from today's class and I wanted to share: 
  1. I fall in love with yoga over and over again in each class.  You will always learn something new about yourself on your mat!
  2. Stretching your toes feels AMAZING!  Get in downward dog and stretch those toes!
  3. Yoga makes you fully aware of your strengths and weaknesses, almost at the same time.  Today especially I was made fully aware of my shortcomings, but in the same (or next) moment I felt incredibly strong.  With it being the new year, BALANCE, was my lesson of the day. 
  4. Yoga is not only practice of the body, but also of the mind and spirit.  It is truly YOUR practice.  You can put in and get out of yoga whatever you want. 

Today's findings, especially with it being around the new year, gave me an interesting perspective.  Life is about BALANCE.  Sure hours or days of pure bliss are amazing, and hours or days of complete sadness completely suck.  But you cant appreciate the sun without the rain.  We will have our "pinched" times and we will have our "strong" times.  But the key is to persevere.  Eventually everything balances itself out. 

How willing are you to not only discover, but also improve.  Think about it.    Namaste!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment