Sunday, December 31, 2017

WOW What a Year! 2017 Rocked!

So many life changes and new explorations, 2017 has been a record year for me! And with flying almost 100,000 air miles in 2017, this may have been my craziest year yet!  

I know I haven't posted a lot lately and I hate that.  I'll try to get back on a more regularly scheduled program.  :)  But let's check out where I've been this year, and you'll see I haven't had much down time!

I shook things up immediately at the top of 2017, in January I took a major risk and not only changed jobs but changed my career, slightly. I went from the familiar regulated corporate banking environment to the cool new and shiny fin-tech space (which is short for financial technology). This was especially risky because I had only been in New York City for a year and a half.  I'm a risk taker, but I will admit I was a little nervous if things took a turn for the worst I could be out of living in this cool new city I still very much enjoyed. Thankfully everything has worked out, but let me back up and take you through my coolest year to date, 2017! 

Ok so we covered January - starting a new job and career! Now luckily in February before I was too deep into my new job I took a quick trip, a pre-planned vacation that was very special, the bachelorette party of one of my best friends! We rented a cool place in Asheville, NC, went to a salt rock cave and a brewery. We had so much fun!


March was pretty much back to normal, back to work and settling into my new job. But what was approaching at the end of April was MOVING. My apartment lease would be up so I had to find a new (bigger) apartment and (more) furniture. I was finally moving from a studio to a one bedroom, the little things in life! But before I moved I flew down to NC for my best friend's wedding! :)


 

April, May and June were pretty busy with moving and settling into my new home and job.  But I was lucky enough to have my best friends and family visit me in NYC to keep me entertained.  :)  I also took a quick trip back home to surprise my brother for his 30th birthday!

    

Welcome July!  July was the wildest month of the year!  Not only was it my 35th birthday, but right after that I was embarking on a three week work tour across Asia-pacific!  But first, as I'm a huge fan of work/life balance I decided to go to Chicago with my sister-in-law for my birthday!  We rented a cool apartment in River North and walked around to brunch and dinner every day!  For my actual birthday dinner we went to The Signature Room, an amazing restaurant on the 95th floor of the John Hancock Tower.  High recommend!!!  We also did a boat tour to see the city from the Chicago River, and also the ferris wheel at the end of the pier!  The pier was crazy with tourists but if you can deal with the process it's worth it!  



Now it's time for business.  Six months into my job I was off to Asia to conduct training for the various offices of our business partner.  First stop, Hong Kong!  I was only there two nights so didn't have much time to explore, one of my most memorable moments was the Apple store in the IFC mall, view below!  Oh and paying $93 for a manicure and pedicure!!  That's what happens when you don't ask the price!  


After Hong Kong I was off to Australia!  I had a week in Australia but hopped between Sydney and Melbourne.  Sydney was absolutely beautiful, has a vibe like LA!  And Melbourne was super cool!  Crazy this place is across the planet so I am lucky I could check that box.  Oh and I also got to mark Australia off my continent list of doing yoga on every continent!!!   :)



After Australia I was off to India, then Taiwan!  I literally was in India for 48 hours and Taiwan for 48 hours. But if you know me I always make time for a good meal so you know authentic curry was on the menu in India!  In Taiwan my coworker took me to one of her favorite hot pot restaurants!  :P


I got back to NYC in the first week of August, wow where did the summer go!  :)  Getting back to a normal routine was much desired, but also was a visit from my BFF!!


Now of course the last official weekend of Summer, Labor Day, is a cause for celebration!  In September I took a quick trip back down south to close out the summer with my family!  I do miss them so much!


September never really got back to normal because almost as soon as I got back to NYC I was headed back out to Europe to conduct another round of work training!  This time I was able to visit a few new places I had never been to, like Stockholm, Frankfurt, London, and Zurich!  I was able to touch down for a moment back in Amsterdam too, which was very sweet.  


  


       

October was nice to get back home.  I only had a few work trips to Houston, San Diego, and Kansas City before my Dad came to visit in November!  He visited a year prior but this time I was in a proper one bedroom apartment versus a studio!  The little things you are thankful for like a one bedroom apartment!  My Dad and I had such a blast.  We ate and drank ourselves silly the entire weekend.  The NYC marathon was also going on while he was here, so we got to watch, yell and scream at that!  So much fun!



November. It was time for more family time, Thanksgiving was finally here!  I was especially excited about this holiday because I got to see my nephews that I rarely get to see!  They are 2 and 5 and just so much fun.  We played magic carpet, watched them jump all over the couch, and of course played the "doggy game" on my phone, aka snapchat.  :)


Finally, December is here, which brings me a feeling of relief after a busy and successful year.  But there was one last event to close out the year right, a Christmas party at the White House!  My friend Mike is a Major in the Army and also a White House Aide.  He kindly invited me to go with him and I was so excited the entire night!  We took pictures in the green room, the red room, and even got a picture with Trump and Melania!  What a cool once-in-a-lifetime experience!

 


I want to thank all of my family and friends that have supported me and been there for me throughout this crazy year.  What an incredible year it's been!  I will continue to take risks because that's where you grow and are rewarded.  I am living my best life and it feels great!  Here's to another great year!  Cheers!




2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful action-filled year! Most people do not do that in a lifetime! Here’s to many, many more great years ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sista,

    I am SO PROUD of you. The life you are living is a fairytale. As your brother you know I worry because you are in so many places. But I know you have a good head on your shoulders and deserve the sights you see! I cant wait to catch up with you and maybe surprise you one of these days!!

    Just know that no matter where you go, what continent you do yoga on, that I am always thinking about you and love you to pieces. Thank you so much for being there for me and Lacee - and being the awesome sister you are. YOU GO GIRL, keep doing your thing and tip toeing across this planet. This world is a better place with you in it!!

    I love you Swissarilla!

    -Teebies

    ReplyDelete