Monday, April 14, 2014

The Power of Kindness

What a beautiful Saturday it was. 82° and barely a cloud in the sky. A local food truck competition was right down the street. What a perfect day! I prepared myself for the weather, and the experience, and we were on our way. 


As much as I hate to admit it, I've never tried the food trucks here before. This experience was new and interesting, but honestly I was a little nervous to eat the food as I passed the foggy exhaust pumping from behind the trucks.  Ummmmmmmmmm. Turns out this was a huge event. You pay $35 and get to sample something from each of the 10+ food trucks! Damn at least 10 tacos? That's too much food and I had a Katt Williams concert to attend in a few hours. I attempted to go by an individual taco from one of the food trucks and they said, "SORRY, you have to have the band, the complete food truck package." Again, I wasn't up for a feast so we decided to go grab some food down the street. We decided on world famous Price's Chicken Coop! 

 

If you know anything about this place, it's always packed and crazy with a multitude of lines happening at the same time! We slithered to the far left and waited patiently. This place is famous for fried chicken, but I was craving chicken tenders I couldn't wait to ask the attendant if they had any. We encountered an older white lady, with such a sweet face. I curiously asked if they had chicken tenders, and she gave me this look and said, "No honey we only have chicken on the BONE." She said this was such a sweet sincere tone, but gave me this look like GIRL DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOU ARE, you should have known better than to ask that question!! :) We were hungry and weren't sure what to order so we asked her advice. Over and over again she recommended the hush puppies - and dark meat chicken package. I told her I loved the "Bo-rounds" that I had one time before. (They are similar to small round fried hash browns.)  Oh no, she gave me ANOTHER look, like GIRLFRIEND NO YOU DIDN'T CALL OUR FRIED POTATOES BO-ROUNDS!!! Oh sweet lady "I'm so sorry" I said! She knew I was asking ridiculous questions, and we were both recognizing and enjoying the banter we were exchanging. It was such a sweet little thing we had going back-and-forth with each other, over hush puppies, fried potatoes and chicken. :) We ended up with a great rapport and took the recommendation on the dark meat package with hush puppies - and POTATO ROUNDS.
 
There were probably 10 active lines in this place with over 20 people in the building.  But we were talking like we were sipping sweet lemonade on a sunny country day.  No worries in the world, no pressure, and no where to be. I was impressed with her calm.

I couldn't help but I have a connection with the sweet older woman, her kindness was so heavenly, open, and free, you couldn't miss it. She was so engaging and I was captured by her sincerity. She then turned and looked to me and said, "Do you know why I love my job? Because I get to talk to people, like you. I love being around people and making conversation. Make sure you do what you love, because if you do what you love you will always be happy. I sat behind a desk for 30 years, and I quit my job to do this. I make a third of what I used to make, and I'm so happy." My heart was over flowing with emotion, , shock, joy, happiness, and amazement as I felt like this lady was placed into my life, at this moment, for a reason. If she only knew the exact situation I'm currently in. I turned to her and I said, "Guess what? I've been sitting behind a desk for 10 years and me and a couple of my friends on the verge of making a life changing decision, very similar to yours!" And she gave me that look again and said "YOU GO GIRL" and we gave each other a high-five! Our food was suddenly ready and we were on our way.  We were both blown away by this woman.  I wish I would've asked what her name was. But that sweet moment that her and I exchanged will never be forgotten. 

Sometimes in life the most random things happen. The timing is so bizarre you can't help but think it happened for a reason. We yearn for these type moments. It's in these moments that you are truly living in the present. Time stops and you are fully and completely engaged in the now.  It strikes you to the core, to the bone, and your heart is touched. 

Never under estimate the power of a smile, a sincere heart, and a genuine person. Kindness can change the world. I truly believe that, and that is now my mission. To prove how the power of love, the power of being kind, can make a bigger impact on the world than anyone realizes.  


Be the change you want to see in the world.  -Gandhi
 

No comments:

Post a Comment