Monday, March 24, 2014

HelpX?

It's been almost a year since I backpacked Europe for a whole month.  My friends and family thought I was crazy for doing this alone, but it was something I had to do.  Life is about the opportunities you take, and even the ones you miss.  And this opportunity was one I could not pass up.

I met so many amazing people over my month long travels in Western Europe.  I now have friends in Germany, Russia and Australia!  I met this one girl when I was in Belgium.  She had actually been traveling for over a year - alone!  She told me about these work exchange programs she'd been doing.  Essentially there are tons of "hosts" that look for "helpers" to help with a vast arrange of tasks:  picking fruit, helping with cleaning, planting, gardening, small construction projects, etc....  You give your time and efforts for a free place to stay and free meals!  UMMM HELL YES!  There are offerings in so many countries around the globe.  WHY have I not heard of this before now?!?! 

www.helpx.net

Have any of you ever used helpx?  I would love to hear any thoughts, opinions or suggestions with that site!

I'm at an interesting place in my life.  Not at all where I thought I would be at 31, but also sure as hell not a bad place to be either.  I have complete freedom.  I've realized that in this life I crave perspective.  I need my soul nourished and I wish I am doing the same for others.  I live to see and understand different things.  I want many chapters in my book.  Not the same chapter that plays over and over again.  I want to explore.  Meet people.  Feel and understand their perspective of the world.  Connection is truly what fulfills me, and in my opinion what is truly lacking in today's high bandwidth low touch environment most live. 

You hear of people claiming they want to travel the world but not many do it.  But some do.  Will I?  Stayed tuned to see.....  :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment