Thursday, May 15, 2014

Writing Your Last Will and Testament

GASP!  I know!  How morbid!

Last night I was talking to my mother, updating her on my preparations for backpacking Asia.  She casually mentioned "Elizabeth, I think you should think about writing your will."  MOM!!!!!  WOW!  I couldn't believe my ears.  My stomach sank and my eyes widened.  Really I need to do this?  Time pretty much stopped for me in that moment as I looked around my room staring at all my junk, I mean my things..... You know what, she was right.  I'm 31 and have not written a will yet.  At what age do you write your last will and testament???  Regardless of all the questions I had, I knew it was something I needed to do, at some point anyway.  So today I wrote it.  Two pages worth.

Putting these preparations on paper is a very weird experience.  Your mind starts to wonder....  WHY did my Mom mention this?  Did she get a message from above that I will pass on this journey?  Was it just her being a Mom making sure I have all bases covered?  WOW this is CRAZY!!!!  And SAD!!

It really makes you stop and think about LIFE, your life and those lives around you.  In a way it hit a nerve within me to live a more positive, meaningful and fulfilling life.  Life is not about WHAT you have or how much you have of this or that.  It's about the connection you make make with others, and how you make this world a better place.

I hate money.  People fight over it all the time, especially families in times of death, marital negotiations, estates changing generations, etc.  It's terrible.  I'd rather let someone take all the money, take everything and leave me drama and stress free!!!!! 

Anyway - I know this post is somewhat morbid.  However in everything I do these days I try to always find that positive light.  There's always a light out there shining, it's just up to you to see it.  : )


 

No comments:

Post a Comment