Thursday, June 26, 2014

First Camping Trip EVER!!

This week I went camping for the first time EVER in my life!!!!!!

Growing up in the South of the United States I've had plenty of opportunities to go camping. My home state is close to the mountains and the beach, and with four seasons there are plenty of opportunities to go camping. However, every offer I had to go camping I always decided against it. I've never been a big fan of bugs, especially spiders, I HATE SPIDERS! But for some reason I have this fear I am going to be a random act of violence. Although I would not consider being mauled by a bear a random act of violence, going camping was just too risky in my mind. Can I just make a tent in my house like I was when I was a kid? That sounds great to me! You know, take a blanket and tuck it under the couch cushions and over the coffee table and across to the recliner? We can rock out to pocket rockers and eat fruit snacks all night. That's the kind of camping I like....so I thought...

So, I've been in Thailand for almost two weeks now volunteering with elephants and being immersed in Thai culture. One of the nights this week our coordinator told us we were going camping! Honestly I thought it was a joke, but it wasn't! Here we are in the hills of western Thailand, near Myanmar, going camping. Hmmmm, I don't think there are any bears or mountain lions here, maybe just some malaria and elephants? I love elephants and am taking anti-malaria meds, so I had no fear! I also knew our coordinator/guide is a local and familiar with the area and doubt he would put 22 volunteers from across the globe in any kind of danger. Off we go!

We had the opportunity to hike some up the mountain, or for those who were not interested we could just ride up. I chose the ride. See my recent post on Erawan National Park Waterfalls and you will know why! I had enough of hiking, or trekking! So three of us decided to take the easy way up. Boy I am glad we did. Not only did we get first dibs on our tents, but we got to see this amazing view first!!!


There were a few of the coordinators helpers setting up the camp site. With 22 volunteers there were quite a few tents to set up. We started helping them set up the tents and draping and tying up tarps in case of rain. There was music in the background and I suddenly realized it was "Just A Dream" by Carrie Underwood. The lyrics on the hook go, "this can't be happening to me, this is just a dream...."  Suddenly it that moment I felt like I was dreaming. Here I am doing something I never thought I would do, something I never had an interest in, and I could not have been more happy or more excited. It really felt like a dream. In that moment I was actually standing there holding a corner of a tarp waiting to see what tree we would tie it to, and all I could do was look in the distance, the horizon and my surroundings and realize how happy I was. Not only with everything in my life at that moment, but with camping! Isn't it funny how you can be so firm and sure of certain things in your life, then you experience them and you are completely WRONG, just wrong! Turning over a fear or disinterest you've had in your life feels so beautiful, and now I cannot wait to go camping again!  




After the remaining volunteers got there we started cooking!  We started frying up chicken wings and making kabobs to put on the grill. We also had pancakes! It was such a team effort, everyone was hungry, excited, and a little anxious to get this camping thing started!  




I had not had chicken wings since I left the states, they were so amazing!  The kabobs were great too! There was chicken, pineapple, peppers, tomatoes. Now every time I get the chance to grill out I will always bring a pineapple! Grilled pineapples are so juicy and have great flavor! The pancakes, man, don't get me started! They use carnation milk in their pancakes here, and I have no idea exactly what that is but it tastes like they are soaked in butter!! SO GOOD!!!!!!!!!  

Of course I ate way more than I should have, and we were off to our tent by 8:30 to head to bed. We were rising at 6:00am to see the sunrise.  :)


Unfortunately due to early morning rain the sunrise was not as amazing as expected. But how can the above NOT be amazing.  It was beautiful. We cleaned up and were on our way back to our cabin.  

I am so excited that I finally experienced camping for the first time. I know my best friend and her Dad will be proud!  :)  Now I am ready to go camping again, as long as you can promise me there are no crazy animals or insects around I cannot prepare for.  


Our main coordinator Tun.  :)




2 comments:

  1. Love it! So jealous of your adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the fact that you are doing this! Glad you now like camping!

    ReplyDelete