Monday, February 3, 2014

Chinese Dance

I recently had the opportunity to check out a dance performance by Shen Yun - a traditional Chinese dance company based out of NYC.  It had been over a year since I've seen a dance performance.  I was excited and eager of what was about to happen before my eyes.  The energy of live dance is indescribable.  The flexibility and precision professional dancers have is mind blowing.  To me, dancing = freedom.  There are endless moves, infinite ways to express the body.  

I am infatuated with Asia.  There are so many countries and islands that encompass many different histories, traditions and beliefs that are a lot of times far fetched for us Americans.  The poise that most Asian cultures carry about themselves is admirable.  To have two of my most favorite and admired things combine before my eyes really made my soul happy.

What have you done to make your soul happy lately?

Another interesting perspective here - did you know that in China Shen Yun is not allowed to practice dance?  The Chinese government is actively preventing, the show that is offering a look into the 5,000-year-old culture, to be staged in China, because since 1949, since communism arrived in china, expression of traditional Chinese culture have been actively suppressed. 

http://www.shenyunperformingarts.org/spirituality/challenges-we-face



 

No comments:

Post a Comment